Friday, April 24, 2020

Amputee Girls Amanda Sullivan‎, I hope that you're learning lessons from adversity

Amputee Girls Amanda Sullivan‎, I hope that you're learning lessons from adversity

I used a wheelchair for a few years, after being run-over in 2009. I was drowning in depression & contemplated suicide. Finally, one night, I wrote my "goodbye" letter & cried for hours. I realized that if I ended my life in the midst of the darkness, then the darkness would define me. But, I wanted to define me.⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
Leading up to my accidents, I was a first responder & aid worker, working with orphans & refugees in conflict and disaster zones. These beautiful people taught me invaluable lessons about shining in the face of adversity. I realized that I needed to become the HERO that I was sitting in bed waiting for.⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
I started playing wheelchair sports & a fire was lit inside of my soul again! I blamed the wheelchair & the man who hit me for my problems. MY ATTITUDE WAS THE PROBLEM.⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
 Amputee Girls Amanda Sullivan‎, I hope that you're learning lessons from adversity

Since my first race on crutches in September of 2012, I’ve completed over five dozen 5k races, 3 dozen 10ks, 34 half marathons (13.1 miles each), three full marathons (26.2 miles each), 1 Spartan Agoge (UltraMarathon), 1 GORUCK & innumerable Spartan Races. In 2013, I became The first female in the world with a disability to earn her “Spartan Trifecta Medal”. I also became the first female in the world with a disability to be named To The Spartan Pro Team.⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
In late 2018, my doctors told me that my leg was “dead” below my knee. I needed to amputate. After having just lost my Mom to Pancreatic Cancer, losing my leg was nothing. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Amputee Girls Amanda Sullivan‎, I hope that you're learning lessons from adversity

⁣⁣In Jan/Feb 2020, I was fitted with a running blade, thanks to 50legs. The incredible prosthetists at POA mixed some of my Mom’s and my puppy (who passed away in January), Rosie’s, ashes into the carbon fiber mold. My Mom always said I would run again. Her hope was that we would somehow, someday run together.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
A few days later, I traveled to Phoenix to race on my new blade. Tears streamed down my face as I “ran” on the course with my Mom & Rosie. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This past Sunday, I got dressed up to travel to my living room (because 2020 be like dat). I hope that you're learning lessons from adversity, pushing your limits & living your life 100%, every single day. The best is yet to come. I promise.


No comments: